Infographic – Powerful Tips on How to Become a Successful Freelance Writer
I hope you’re having a fantastic new year. Thank you for all the awesome holiday wishes, it is truly appreciated.
It was a wonderful and relaxing vacation. It’s so good to be back. I’m ready to hit the ground running again and get back into the groove of things.
Do you enjoy writing? Today’s article discusses how to start your freelance writing career by pointing out the 8 types of careers and how to become a writer:
Start Your Freelance Writing Career
Freelance writers earn income from their books, articles, and scripts. Most work on an individual basis and diversify their income by working with multiple publishers. *Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
Types of Freelance Writers
Conducts interviews and extensive research to gather information to write about a person’s life.
Writes advertisement copy to engage buyers and boost the sale of products and services.
Compiles information on an array of topics; unlikely to specialize in any given field.
Reports about present-day events to inform the population about the local, international and national news.
Produces fictitious works with characters and plots. The writing may focus on fantasy or real life events.
Writes scripts for stage productions; includes actor movement, dialogue and set design.
Writes for screen productions; includes characters, dialogue, and storyline.
Composes words and music for songs. Can use as performance pieces or sell them to a music producer.
Median Annual Wage in 2012
- 7% – $61,630 – Professional, scientific and technical services.
- 3% – $59,290 – Arts, entertainment and recreation.
- 5% – $54,410 – Other services (except public administration).
- 2% – $52,340 – Educational services (state, local and private).
- 12% – $51,940 – Information
1 in 4 work part time. 2/3 of writers and authors are self-employed. Writers can work wherever there is access to a computer. Many will travel to meet with clients or conduct in-person interviews. Some keep regular office hours, but many writers and authors adopt a flexible writing routine.
Powerful Tips on How to Become a Successful Freelance Writer:
The biggest reason most people don’t become successful as freelance writers is because they don’t take any action. Source: Michael Levanduski.
10 Actions Steps To Perform:
- Reach out to blogs you favor and ask if you can submit articles, but only do this if the webmasters agree to publish your byline.
- Local companies may have websites that need tweaking. Utilize your writing services to increase their conversions.
- Build an authority site to sell affiliate products and advertising space. Send traffic to this website to showcase the quality of your writing.
- Build your brand with a business website that provides a portfolio of your writing and invite prospects to contact you for a no-obligation quotation.
- Create your social media accounts on major contenders, such as Twitter, Google Plus, Facebook and LinkedIn to increase the reach of your brand.
- Afer establishing your social media accounts, follow other freelance writers to stay on the cutting edge.
- Approach SEO companies to offer your writing services; landing one company as a new client is a great way to attract steady work.
- Query print and digital magazines. These publications are constantly searching for innovative writers.
- Sing up for freelance writing accounts on eLance, oDesk, and other writing services. You cannot get hired if you don’t apply!
- Work with a mentor for expert advice and on-going guidance on how to start and maximize a freelance business.
How are you advancing your writing skills? Do you agree with the above infographic Powerful Tips on How to Become a Successful Freelance Writer? Please leave a reply below.
About the author: Sonia Colon is writer/publisher of My Fashion E-Mall Blog & The Biz Buzz of a Latina Mom Blog. She is also owner at BooksAboutMe. For additional powerful business articles and Internet marketing tips for maintaining a lucrative home business subscribe to her newsletter.
If you liked this powerful business infographic, please share it with a friend or two by clicking on the social media icons below. Thank you for your support!